--- Ingredients ---
- 3 tablespoons (31g) freshly ground golden flaxseeds
- 9 tablespoons (135ml) warm water
Spring Onion & Leek Mixture
- 2 cups leeks (100g), soft green part only, finely sliced
- 1 cup (50g) spring onions, soft green part only, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons (30g) extra virgin olive oil
Vegan Chickpea Burger Mixture
- Spring onion and leek mixture
- Flaxseed gel
- 1 cup (200g) grated carrot
- ½ cup (70g) grated zucchini, squeeze excess moisture and then weigh
- 1 cup (170g) canned chickpeas in carton packaging, mashed
- ¼ cup (25g) fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ cup (50g) sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon (15g) tamari
- 1 teaspoon (5g) cumin
- 1 teaspoon (5g) oregano
- 1 teaspoon (5g) salt
- 1 tablespoon (15g) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa flakes or ground gluten-free rolled oats (if tolerated)*
*For a grain-free version of this recipe, use quinoa flakes instead of the ground gluten-free rolled oats.
--- Instructions ---
- Mix together all the flax seed gel ingredients until a gel is formed.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat and add the oil.
- Sauté the leeks and spring onions for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Allow the mixture to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 190oC (375oF).
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Mix all the ingredients (except the quinoa or oat flakes) together in a large mixing bowl, adjusting the seasoning if needed.
- Fold in the quinoa or oat flakes. The mixture should be sticky but somewhat pliable.
- Add more quinoa flakes if the mixture is too wet, adding one tablespoon at a time.
- Divide the mixture into 5 portions and shape each into a patty.
- Line a pan with parchment paper.
- Cook the patties in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes until firm and cooked through.
[The recipes are property of the Digestive Nutrition Clinic and have been overseen by our Registered Clinical Dietitian Nutritionist and FODMAP expert.]