2 hours & 40 min
--- Ingredients ---
- 2kg (4,4lbs) chicken
For aromatic oil
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (15g) mustard
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) 100% pure maple syrup
- 10 sprigs thyme, only the leaves
- 1½cup (75g) spring onions the green part only, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) olive oil
- ½ cup (70g) chestnuts, boiled
- ¼ cup (33g) pine nuts, toasted
- 100g (3,5oz) chicken livers
- ¼ cup (60ml) white wine
- 1 cup (180g) rice, boiled
- 2 tablespoons (20g) raisins
- ½ cup (120ml) water
- grated zest of 1 orange
- salt &pepper
- 1 tablespoon (1,6g) fresh dill, finely chopped
--- Instructions ---
Step 1 - For the filling
- Heat a deep pan over medium heat.
- Add the olive oil and the spring onions.
- Sauté for few minutes.
- Chop the chestnuts into small pieces and add them to the pan.
- Chop the chicken livers into large pieces and add them to the pan.
- Stir and sauté for 4-5 minutes until golden.
- Add the wine and cook until all the juices evaporate.
- Add the rice and raisins and stir to combine.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Add the water and the orange zest and cook until the juice boils.
- Remove from the heat and add the dill.
- Add the toasted pine nuts.
- Stir and set aside until needed.
Step 2 - For the aromatic oil
- Mix all the ingredients well.
Step 3 - For the chicken
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/ 375°F.
- Put on disposable gloves.
- Pull the chicken skin away from the flesh being very careful not to tear the skin.
- Rub the aromatic oil over the flesh of the whole chicken.
- Spread any remaining aromatic oil all over chicken.
- Fill the chicken with the stuffing.
- Tie the chicken legs together with kitchen twine.
- Bake, covered with parchment paper and aluminum foil for 2 hours.
- Remove the parchment and aluminum foil and bake for another 30 minutes, until it’s golden in color.
- Let the chicken rest before cutting.
* Use an instant-read thermometer, inserted into the thickest part of the thigh but not touching the bone, to check if the chicken is done. The safe internal temperature for cooked chicken is 75°C (165°F)