--- Ingredients ---
- 2 tablespoons (15ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (50g, 1.8 oz) leeks, soft green part only, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (12g) ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 1kg (35 oz) carrots, peeled, chopped (about 6-7 carrots)
- 4 cups (500ml) low FODMAP homemade vegetable stock (see below for recipe) or water (use salt & pepper to taste if you are not using stock)
- 4 tablespoons (30g, 1 oz) low-fat lactose-free yogurt, to serve
- Basil leaves, to serve
--- Instructions ---
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add leeks and ginger and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add carrots and stock to saucepan. Simmer, partially covered, for 35 to 40 minutes or until carrots are very tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Blend the soup using a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Add more water if the consistency needs to be thinned out a bit.
- Return soup to saucepan and stir over low heat until warmed through.
- Serve the soup with a spoonful of yogurt and garnish with basil leaves.
--- Low FODMAP Vegetable Stock---
- Ingredients -
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil
- 2 cups (100g, 3.6 oz) leeks, green parts only
- 2 carrots (330g, 11.6 oz)
- 1 cup (50g, 1.8 oz) spring onions, green parts only
- 10 sprigs fresh parsley
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 liters water
- Instructions -
- Chop vegetables into small chunks.
- Heat oil in a big pot.
- Add the vegetables and herbs and cook over high heat for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add salt and water and bring to a boil. Lower heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- Strain and discard vegetables keeping the broth.
[The recipes are property of the Digestive Nutrition Clinic and have been overseen by our Registered Clinical Dietitian Nutritionist and FODMAP expert.]