8 (390g each)
--- Ingredients ---
- 500g (17.6oz) ground lean beef or pork
- 2 medium tomatoes crushed to puree (250g or 8.8oz)
- 1 cup (50g or 1.8oz) spring onions, finely chopped, green parts only
- 1 cup (50g or 1.8oz) leeks, finely chopped, green parts only
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- ½ cup dry white wine (120ml)
- 1 teaspoon (2.6g) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (2.6g) ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon (1g) freshly grated black pepper
- 3 cups (150g or 5.3oz) of parsley, finely chopped
- 1 liter of lactose-free milk (4.2 cups)
- 120g (4.2oz) potato starch
- 4 (56g) tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pastured eggs
- 2 teaspoons (4.4g) nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons (11g) salt
- 400g (17.6oz) gluten free, long ziti pasta (preferably whole grain quinoa pasta) *
- 100g (3.5oz) low-fat cheese, grated (kasseri or parmesan)
* for a grain free option choose quinoa pasta
--- Instructions ---
Step 1 – Meat Sauce
- Place a pan over medium heat.
- Add the ground meat and cook for a few minutes until all liquid evaporates.
- Add the spring onions and leeks and cook for a few minutes more.
- Add the freshly made tomato puree and cook until the liquid evaporates.
- Add the bay leaves.
- Add the wine and allow the alcohol to evaporate.
- Add the freshly ground black pepper, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Add finely chopped parsley.
- Remove from heat.
- Discard the bay leaves and set aside until needed.
Step 2 – Béchamel Sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Add the flour.
- Stir continuously with a hand whisk and sauté the flour.
- Scrape down the sides to incorporate any excess flour.
- Add the milk, a drizzle at a time, whisking continuously so that no lumps form in the mixture.
- Avoid boiling. Potato starch can lose its thickening power if brought to a boil for too long.
- Simmer the sauce at no more than 80°C (176°F), always monitoring the heat.
- Continue to stir until the sauce becomes smooth and creamy.
- Remove from the heat and add salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add the 2 eggs and whisk very quickly to incorporate.
- Set aside until needed.
Step 3 - Pasta
- Boil the pasta in salted water for 2 minutes less than what is indicated in the box’s instructions.
- Drain the pasta.
- Mix with the cheese.
Step 4 - Assemble
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Brush a baking pan (3x9x3 inch or 33x23x7 cm) with olive oil.
- Mix the meat sauce with one third of the béchamel sauce.
- Spread the pasta in the baking pan.
- Add the meat sauce.
- Top with the remaining béchamel sauce.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the béchamel turns golden brown.
[The recipes are property of the Digestive Nutrition Clinic and have been overseen by our Registered Clinical Dietitian Nutritionist and FODMAP expert.]